HOW TO HEAL YOURSELF AND OTHERS
People flock to the medicine man when sick. Not necessarily to alleviate pain but to get well. The idea is to prolong that period whence one can enjoy life without any inconvenience. There is therefore a million occasions when one can really appreciate everything; from surroundings to interaction, from strolling to traveling by land, air and sea. On the other hand, there is a handful of reasons why some people terminate life but these are exceedingly more pressing than appreciating life. Worst, they have forgotten what made life great and would rather feel that there is nothing fulfilling in life at all.
In other countries, where faith in life hereafter is more pronounced than life here and now, death is an invitation, an exciting period to proceed. Accordingly, when one dies, heaven is celebratory. If the cause of death is a sacrifice to faith, all the angels and everything in heaven are all rejoicing. Hence, recruiters of suicidal missions gather their members from the ranks of these believers.
Filipinos have never shown devotion in this kind of conviction. For them, life in here and now is the most important. This notwithstanding the fact that for hundreds of years, they were taught the catechism of heavenly bliss in life hereafter. And why should they die to enjoy when they can have their cake and eat it too in present times. Never mind a miserable, exploited and at times enslaving situation. Never mind poverty, grinding hunger and pangs of want. Never mind abuse, maltreatment and neglect. Life is still preferred than death. This is because the Filipinos subscribe to the belief that there is no such thing as impossible. They trust in blissful hope more than anything else. And it is that which animates life.
Because they have this predisposition, they likewise adhere to an ancient art science wanted to discard, the art of healing.
Early Egyptian priests, Indian monks, African voodoos, Chinese herbalists and Christian workers have explored and finally accepted as precept and truth the reality of healing. They have incorporated it in rituals, in ceremonies and related practices. It has become a routine in their basic custom, in their tradition that one cannot dissociate healing unless it is clothe in some kind of a religious convention. Filipinos had their history influenced not only by a confluence of invaders and merchants but also by conquering armies of countries with multinational persuasions. They have integrated some basic understanding of imported belief systems into their own and what remained were snippets of thoughts, witticism and yes, a survivor instinct. A pillar of this consideration is healing. It remained in their consciousness along with customary expressions. It has become a part of their awareness.
But healing can stand on its own whether it is conducted by a man of the cloth or anyone with a different outfit. Stripped of habiliments and props, incantations and related booboos, healing, as it should be in its simple form should appear or should be practiced in the following.
Essentially, here is the manner how it is to be done.
- 1. Believe that your subject, the person to be healed deserved healing.
- 2. Believe that you can heal the person.
- 3. As you go through the motion of healing, stretch both arms and open both your palms.
- 4. Be sensitive to your hands, to your palms most specially.
- 5. In your mind, try to feel your stretched palms and once you feel stillness, you are ready for healing. By stillness should mean, there is no remarkable feeling obtained.
- 6. Focus your hands on the person to be healed. Feel your palms. Focus it until you feel the warmth of the person’s aura. The feeling of warm air means that the defect or cause of sickness has already been extracted and magnetized by the hand.
- 7. Focus on your hands until you feel cold air passes through. Thereafter, re-focus your hands in another direction possibly in a blank corner or in an area that leads outside (if you are conducting from inside a room, or if outside, to an opposite area).
- 8. Believe that the warmth air you felt is what ails the one you are healing because it really is. Once you have repositioned your palms, the ailment flies away.
- 9. Try to experience a relatively cold air gently swishing briefly on your palms. That means, you are through with healing.
There is nothing supernatural or mysterious about it. As a matter of fact, it could just be a part of conversation or some kind of a friendly gesture. There is actually nothing magical in it. But I have as yet to get a correct term to define the procedure. While there were attempts to introduce this into a laborious, arduous and lengthy ceremony by enterprising people, the sensitive part of feeling the warm and cold air component, significant as it were is never experienced. That virtually removes from the rite the healing per se.
I know, because I have observed this among healers, those who are genuine and those who are not. Various shaman, spiritual gurus, conventional priests, pastors profess this skill but all would rather invoke religious piety for the sake of recruitment and yes, commercial gain. As far as my education in this not so mysterious process is concerned, I merely took note of a lesson shared to me incidentally in one of my adventures. A forsaken old lady, abandoned by her children and relatives, passed on to me some kind of a healing aptitude. I was a young med-rep and unappreciative of anything I cannot grasp at that time. What was important to me then was to help a grandma I encountered in a remote area of Bicol when in the course of my charity she would oftentimes insist that the medicine I was distributing is useless unless the sick deserves to be healed. Here she disclosed to me how to heal oneself and others. She gave a series of techniques. The background of the exposure is very interesting but it deserves another story. At the moment though, and for this explanation, I have simply applied what was taught (that which I spelled out above) and amazingly, those who went through its routine were healed.